Michael Burry is back

Michael Burry on Tuesday warned of the biggest market bubble in history, suggesting that his concerns about rampant speculation only grew during his 10-week hiatus from Twitter.

“People always ask me what is going on in the markets,” the investor tweeted. “It is simple. Greatest Speculative Bubble of All Time in All Things. By two orders of magnitude. #FlyingPigs360.”

The hashtag was likely a reference to a famous saying in investing: “Bulls make money, bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered.”

Burry has repeatedly told investors that they’re being too greedy, speculating wildly, shouldering too much risk, and chasing unrealistic returns.

The Scion Asset Management chief deleted his Twitter profile in early April after sounding the alarm on Tesla stock - which he’s short - as well as GameStop, bitcoin, dogecoin, Robinhood, SPACs, inflation, and the broader stock market. He resumed tweeting on Monday.

guess who’s back…back again :musical_note: :guitar:

1 Like

What do you think, @stonkbroker? Is this just another short seller or vix longman creating panic…personally I don’t feel that’s what Michael’s Burry’s about, but who knows? A lot of money and 13 years can change a man.

The last time I heard something of this kind was Bill Ackman going to CNBC and shouting “Hell is Coming!!!” in the early days of the corona crisis! Markets tanked shortly after and Pershing Square (his hedge fund) transformed a $20 million bet into 2.4 billion USD, if my memory serves me correct.

It’s crazy how much free speech intersects with market manipulation!

God bless America! @Neerab @stonkbroker @rafy @kunal

1 Like

I agree that it is very easy for influential people to manipulate the market. But I wouldn’t put Burry in the same category as Elon Musk or Ackman or anyone else who secretly takes a position in the market and then creates a ruckus to realize that position. Also, all of Burry’s short thesis are concrete (kinda like the time he predicted the housing bubble based on facts). In fact I would say he’s unlucky this time around cause a lot of people have given Musk the status of Jesus which is prolonging Burry’s prediction of the fall of Tesla (and a similar analogy with the rest of his short positions).

1 Like

Yeap, he doesn’t mess around

Although I wonder how actionable some of his theses are in real time. He was a couple of years early to shorting the housing bubble, and so applying the same timelines to the current bull run, there may still be <?> a couple of more years before the markets begin heating up and people start calling mania!

What do you think? @stonkbroker