Winning bid for a seat on Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin spacecraft goes for $28 million 🚀 🤑

The winning bid for a seat on Blue Origin’s first-ever space tourism flight came in at an eye-popping $28 million during a Saturday live auction.

The winner will be joining Blue Origin’s founder Jeff Bezos on the New Shepard spacecraft for an 11-minute trip to the edge of space scheduled to blast off on July 20. The name of the winner will be released in coming weeks, the company said.

Bidding on Saturday opened at $4.8 million and quickly shot up to $28 million. Blue Origin opened the auction for a seat on the inaugural crewed New Shepard flight on May 5 and more than 7,000 people from 159 countries registered, the company said on Saturday. Some of those bidders will be contacted about taking a seat on future space flights.

Bezos and the rest of the crew will float around the cabin of the spacecraft for just three minutes before strapping in again for the descent back to the ground.

Virgin Galactic — Richard Branson’s space tourism company — has sold tickets for about $250,000 to about 600 passengers.

What are your thoughts on $SPCE (Virgin Galactic is a public company) and Blue Origin?

1 Like

@ShereenAbdulla @lolitataub @Neutronboy55 @stonkbroker - hey hey! What are your thoughts on this? Let the exchange know in the comments!

This is weirdly cool. If I had $28m to fork over I might have gone for it but since I don’t I guess I’m just going to share my opinion on it :slight_smile:

Richard Branson however did announce a while back that he would be beginning training for a space flight… This was confirmed in an interview.

Looks like we’ll see some of the billion dollar club in space soon enough.

1 Like

This is so cool. Who could be that lucky person? :slight_smile:

I came across this, a similar kind of story. Ted Wechsler purchased two of Warren Buffet’s lunches, paying $2,626,311 in 2010 and then $2,626,411 in 2011. That’s a lot of money to spend on lunch.

And in 2012, he was hired as the investment manager and he is still working at Berkshire Hathaway. :smiley:

I think the intellectual ROI exceeds monetary ROI, when talking of a lunch with Buffett.

1 Like

Absolutely. That’s the same even this Bezos Space trip. This is not about money.