ARK ETF - Advantages & Disadvantages

I recently watched a YouTube video online that featured the president of the Jordan Belford Company, Arvid Ali discussing Cathie Wood and her investing strategies for the ARK ETF’s over the last several years.

The basic gist was that Cathie is making the same trades as someone who was just getting into the stock market and was choosing the most well known companies that have been on a good run as of late. An example being Tesla. Ali claims that you could potentially see a greater return by investing in the companies that make up the different ARK ETF’s in your own portfolio and you wouldn’t have to pay the % fees that the ETF charges.

I was wondering if you all could discuss and provide feedback about the advantages and disadvantages of both perspectives? I am currently invested in ARK ETF’s and hold positions in individual companies but this video has made me reconsider how I feel about investing in ETF’s.

I am beginning to wonder if I would see greater returns in liquidating my ETF positions and investing in individual companies stocks?

TLDR: What are the advantages and disadvantages of the ARK ETF’s over just holding positions in individual companies you believe in?

EDIT: Thank you all for your responses and discussions. It was all very helpful! P.S. Thanks for silver kind stranger.